Bear Box at Upper Kearsarge Lake #1 (KA04ZZ)
Generated on 2 Aug 2022 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
"ZZ" in this waypoint name means this box has been taken out of service!
Refer to the notes and directions below for details, and please contact the webmaster if the box is back.
Detail Map of waypoint KA04ZZ
in Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- KA04ZZ is a standard box, at about 10900 feet,
in the GPS route KEARSARGE AREA.
- Directions from Alison Steiner, NPS Wilderness Coordinator, June 2012:
The park is closing the Kearsarge Lakes food-storage lockers for the 2012
season in response to a noted increase in food caching at Kearsarge Lakes.
Caching of materials in wilderness is problematic to park management and
disruptive to park visitors and, as such, is prohibited.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Aug 2000:
One regular box at the southwest corner of the Kearsarge Lake
second nearest to Kearsarge Pass, about 50 feet from the water.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box along the trail between the two small upper Kersarge Lakes.
- KA04ZZ coordinates: (see GPX waypoint download links above)
OUT OF SERVICE (lat,lon) = (36.7665700, -118.3868900) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
OUT OF SERVICE (zone,east,north) = (11S, 376300.0, 4069678.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.