Bear Box at Woods Crossing South (WC07)
Generated on 2 Aug 2022 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint WC07
in Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- WC07 is a standard box, at about 8500 feet,
in the GPS route WOODS CREEK.
- Directions from Peter Stephens (NPS), March 2006:
Use of these lockers is only available to through hikers on the PCT and
JMT. People who are starting or ending their trips in either Sequoia NP,
Kings Canyon NP,or Inyo NF and passing through this area are required to
carry portable food storage canisters and all food and scented items must
fit into the canisters. The public [should not] be misled into counting
on food storage locations that are not available to them. [Editor's Note:
Peter attached the document 'Special Public Use Limits and Closures for 2006'
which does not prohibit locker use by non-through-hikers, but does require
carrying a canister.]
- Directions from Roy Holsinger, Oct 2004:
Cross the bridge toward Rae Lakes, turn right & walk downhill.
The box will be to your left about 100ft into the trees.
- Directions from Laura Civiello, Aug 2000:
Two boxes on the south side of the river, one on each side of the
trail but not not next to each other, east of the suspension bridge.
The pit toilet is on the west side of the bridge.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
Two boxes on the south side of the foot bridge over Woods Creek.
- WC07 coordinates: (see GPX waypoint download links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.8718800, -118.4382600) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 371891.0, 4081428.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.