Bear Box at Bearpaw Meadow South (HS06)
Generated on 1 Oct 2020 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint HS06
in High Sierra Trail:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- HS06 is a standard box, at about 7600 feet,
in the GPS route HIGH SIERRA TR.
- Note: The main camp area is pretty large, and is NOT right next to the
dude camp or the ranger station. It's a 600' climb east from Buck
Creek to a trail junction near a saddle, and a sign at the junction
says the campground is 0.1 mile on the southern fork of the trail.
All three trails leaving this junction go downhill! There is a map
on a signboard at the use trail junction near the 'center' of the
backpacker camp giving the locations of the boxes as well as the
location of water and the outhouses, but it doesn't seem accurate.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Oct 2002:
One box at the lowest and most southern of the Bearpaw Meadow
backpacker campsites. The trail near this box goes southwest toward
Redwood Meadow. The box is about 20 yards downslope from the
trail, and about 100 yards downslope from an outhouse nearer to
the center of the overall camping area. An untreated water spigot
is upslope from this box, and there is an outhouse at about the
same elevation as this box.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
Four boxes in the main camp area.
- HS06 coordinates: (see GPX waypoint download links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.5642700, -118.6236400) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 354787.0, 4047568.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire High Sierra Trail region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.