Bear Box at Lower Paradise West (WC01)
Generated on 30 Nov 2015 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint WC01
in Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- WC01 is a standard box, at about 6600 feet,
in the GPS route WOODS CREEK.
- Note: You'll be lucky to get a good GPS fix here, due to the narrow canyon and tall trees.
There is a campground info sign as you enter Lower Paradise from the south (none from
the north) - both boxes are north of that sign and well south of the stream coming in from the west.
- Directions from Peter Stephens (NPS), March 2006:
Use of these lockers is only available to through hikers on the PCT and
JMT. People who are starting or ending their trips in either Sequoia NP,
Kings Canyon NP,or Inyo NF and passing through this area are required to
carry portable food storage canisters and all food and scented items must
fit into the canisters. The public [should not] be misled into counting
on food storage locations that are not available to them. [Editor's Note:
Peter attached the document 'Special Public Use Limits and Closures for 2006'
which does not prohibit locker use by non-through-hikers, but does require
carrying a canister.]
- Directions from Steve Eckert, Aug 2007:
WARNING: Hinges were ripped out of the box as of 2004, still not fixed as of 2007!
One box about 20 feet uphill (west) from the trail
and about 30 yards upcanyon (north) from the campground sign,
south of the pit toilet sign.
This box is between two large fallen logs that have been cut to let
the trail through. A second box is in the same campground.
- Directions from Scott Carpenter, with GPS waypoint, Nov 1999:
One box south of the first side stream crossing, roughly 1.5
miles north of Mist Falls, and UPHILL from the trail
on the west side of the South Fork Kings River.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box ABOVE the trail, in Lower Paradise.
- WC01 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.8337300, -118.5431600) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 362472.8, 4077340.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.