Bear Box at Timber Gap Junction (MK07)
Generated on 30 Jul 2016 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint MK07
in Mineral King Area:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- MK07 is a standard box, at about 7100 feet,
in the GPS route MINERAL KING.
- Note: The canyon is narrow here and the trees are tall.
Check your GPS constellation before trusting the location it gives you.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, June 2008:
The trails have been re-routed here, even the 7.5' topos are wrong!
One old-style box about 10 yards uphill from the trail junction sign
and about 20 yards northeast of Cliff Creek. There are campsites near
the box, but there are far BETTER campsites 100 yards on the other side
of the creek as the trail climbs steeply toward Timber Gap.
- Directions from Gary Craig, Aug 2002:
The box is within 20 feet of the Timber Gap trail junction sign.
I had problems here too getting a GPS lock due to heavy tree cover.
However, the coordinates you use on the web page look pretty good.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box on the east side of Cliff Creek and slightly
south of the Timber Gap Trail junction.
- MK07 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.4969700, -118.6135700) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 355565.0, 4040085.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Mineral King Area region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.