Bear Box at Upper Hamilton Lake #1 (HS09)
Generated on 25 Apr 2016 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint HS09
in High Sierra Trail:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- HS09 is a standard box, at about 8300 feet,
in the GPS route HIGH SIERRA TR.
- Note: There are three standard boxes near the outlet of Lake 8235:
two are immediately obvious from the trail, one is a bit obscure.
All three are southwest of where the trail crosses the outlet stream.
- Directions from Gary Craig, with GPS waypoint, August 2002:
This is the highest elevation and most southern box, the farthest
from the trail, up on a shelf to the south next to one of the more
remote camp spots. There is a map on the signboard that one sees upon
entering the camping area showing the 'official' camp spots, the boxes,
and the outhouse. But I found the map rather confusing.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
Three boxes in the main camp area at the west end of Hamilton Lake.
- HS09 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.5633500, -118.5787900) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 358799.0, 4047400.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire High Sierra Trail region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.