Bear Box at Upper Kearsarge Lake #2 (KA05ZZ)
Generated on 1 Oct 2020 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
"ZZ" in this waypoint name means this box has been taken out of service!
Refer to the notes and directions below for details, and please contact the webmaster if the box is back.
Detail Map of waypoint KA05ZZ
in Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- KA05ZZ is a large box, at about 10900 feet,
in the GPS route KEARSARGE AREA.
- Note: This box was present in the described location but padlocked.
Perhaps it is only for use by horse packers?
This is the second time that I've been to Kearsarge Lakes in
the past few years and this box has been padlocked both times.
(Gary Craig, July 2002)
- Directions from Alison Steiner, NPS Wilderness Coordinator, June 2012:
The park is closing the Kearsarge Lakes food-storage lockers for the 2012
season in response to a noted increase in food caching at Kearsarge Lakes.
Caching of materials in wilderness is problematic to park management and
disruptive to park visitors and, as such, is prohibited.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Aug 2000:
One large box northwest of the Kearsarge Lake nearest to Kearsarge Pass,
between the use trail and the lake (close to shore).
- KA05ZZ coordinates: (see GPX waypoint download links above)
OUT OF SERVICE (lat,lon) = (36.7697700, -118.3860200) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
OUT OF SERVICE (zone,east,north) = (11S, 376383.0, 4070032.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.