Bear Box at Lower Kearsarge Lake (KA02ZZ)
Generated on 1 Oct 2020 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
"ZZ" in this waypoint name means this box has been taken out of service!
Refer to the notes and directions below for details, and please contact the webmaster if the box is back.
Detail Map of waypoint KA02ZZ
in Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- KA02ZZ is a standard box, at about 10800 feet,
in the GPS route KEARSARGE AREA.
- Note: A small cliff/waterfall goes up
from Lower Kearsarge Lake to Main Kearsarge Lake, easily bypassed to the north.
- Directions from Alison Steiner, NPS Wilderness Coordinator, June 2012:
The park is closing the Kearsarge Lakes food-storage lockers for the 2012
season in response to a noted increase in food caching at Kearsarge Lakes.
Caching of materials in wilderness is problematic to park management and
disruptive to park visitors and, as such, is prohibited.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Aug 2000:
One regular box in the trees about 75 feet from the north shore
of the lowest Kearsarge Lake.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box southwest of the lower Kearsarge Lake.
- KA02ZZ coordinates: (see GPX waypoint download links above)
OUT OF SERVICE (lat,lon) = (36.7694600, -118.3931200) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
OUT OF SERVICE (zone,east,north) = (11S, 375746.0, 4070008.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.