Bear Box at Lower Rae Lake (WC09)
Generated on 6 Dec 2017 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint WC09
in Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- WC09 is a standard box, at about 10600 feet,
in the GPS route WOODS CREEK.
- Note: There is a ranger station between WC090 and WC10, with a sign on
the trail pointing uphill from a spot roughly 100 yards northwest
of the cabin that shows as a dot on the USGS maps.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, 2007:
Laura's description is right but I'll add coordinates and clarification:
This box is in the shadow of Fin Dome (literally, in the evening).
There is no sign along the trail, but you can see the box from the trail.
It's about 1/3 of the way from the trail to the lake.
- Directions from Peter Stephens (NPS), March 2006:
Use of these lockers is only available to through hikers on the PCT and
JMT. People who are starting or ending their trips in either Sequoia NP,
Kings Canyon NP,or Inyo NF and passing through this area are required to
carry portable food storage canisters and all food and scented items must
fit into the canisters. The public [should not] be misled into counting
on food storage locations that are not available to them. [Editor's Note:
Peter attached the document 'Special Public Use Limits and Closures for 2006'
which does not prohibit locker use by non-through-hikers, but does require
carrying a canister.]
- Directions from Laura Civiello, Aug 2000:
One box on the east shore of Lower Rae Lake, east of Fin Dome.
- WC09 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.8147100, -118.4053500) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 374731.0, 4075042.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Woods Creek Northern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.