Bear Box at Bearpaw Meadow West (HS05)
Generated on 15 Apr 2014 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint HS05
in High Sierra Trail:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- HS05 is a standard box, at about 7700 feet,
in the GPS route HIGH SIERRA TR.
- Note: The main camp area is pretty large, and is NOT right next to the
dude camp or the ranger station. It's a 600' climb east from Buck
Creek to a trail junction near a saddle, and a sign at the junction
says the campground is 0.1 mile on the southern fork of the trail.
All three trails leaving this junction go downhill! There is a map
on a signboard at the use trail junction near the 'center' of the
backpacker camp giving the locations of the boxes as well as the
location of water and the outhouses, but it doesn't seem accurate.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Oct 2002:
One box at the first campsite you come to following the trail
from Buck Creek to Bearpaw Meadow backpacker campsites. It is
near a switchback as the trail drops into the camping area, at the
highest and most western campsite (50 yards north of an outhouse).
An untreated water spigot is downslope from this box.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
Four boxes in the main camp area.
- HS05 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.5651900, -118.6235300) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 354798.0, 4047670.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire High Sierra Trail region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.